Trappist Monastery Ruins
The remains of the Trappist Monastery, after the fire of 1983, are open to the public for walking. They are situated on Rue des Ruines du Monastere, Winnipeg, MB
Father Joseph-Noël Ritchot promised the Métis people that he would build a chapel for them, if there was no bloodshed between the Métis and Governor McDougall during the Red River Resistance. When Governor McDougall came to claim the land, he was block by la barriere formed by the Métis people. When McDougall’s men were defeated and escorted out of the settlement, he returned to Ottawa.
Ritchot and his parishioners built the chapel (La Chapelle de Notre-Dame-du-Bons-Secours) in 1875, to commemorate the success of this dispute. This dispute was eventually settled through negotiation. It resulted in the inclusion of Métis land, language, and school rights in The Manitoba Act, passed in 1870.
St. Norbert Arts Centre
In 1892, the Trappist monks’ original monastery was built. Later in 1904, when the monks relocated to a larger residence, the original monastery became a guesthouse for visitors. In 1988, because of the efforts of Heritage St. Norbert, the monastery and the guesthouse became a designated heritage site. After extensive renovation, the guesthouse was then converted into the Saint-Norbert Arts Centre in 1995.
100 Rue des Ruines du Monastère, Winnipeg, MB